Did you know that August 13, 2015 is the 24th annual International Left Handers Day? If you have a leftie in YOUR life or are one yourself, it’s a great time to celebrate left-handedness. There is EVEN a facebook page!
Things Engraved has a number of great gifts that will be appreciated by the left-hand users among us.
First, here are a few little know facts about left-handers:
- Lefties are between 10-12% of the population, and are more likely to have allergies, migraines, be insomniacs, and have a shorter life span (boy, that stinks!)
- Are twice as likely to be male
- Are good at multitasking
- Are good at baseball, tennis, swimming, boxing and fencing
- Recover from strokes faster and statistically are often richer than right handed people from the same graduating college class (whew, this is getting better!)
- Are often creative and excel at visual-spatial tasks such as fine art and architecture
- Often have more balanced bodies, and tend to perform better with their right hand than right handed people do with their left
- In history, left-handers were often viewed as evil, neurotic, criminal and rebellious. In Latin, the word for “left” is “sinister”. On another note, they are more often artists, so maybe there is something to the tortured artist thing.
- Mother’s over 40 at the time of a child’s birth are 128% more likely to have a left handed child than when she is under 40 (to me, that is a weird one!)
- Incas thought left-handers were healers and had magical powers. The North American tribe Zuni believed them to signify good luck (see, not everyone thought lefties were the devil!)
- International Left-Handers Day was launched in 1996 to celebrate left-handedness and raise awareness of the difficulties and frustrations lefties experience in a world designed for right-handers
So how can Things Engraved help our left handed friends? We have gifts that they will love and appreciate, and that don’t favour one hand over the other. These gifts are all about equal gifting opportunities. Here are 5 gift ideas to please anyone, right or left handed:
Watches and Clocks
They say that when you flush in Australia, the water swirls in the opposite direction than in Canada. Opposites having different results. Well, when you tell time as a left-hander, the clock hands move in the SAME direction as a right-hander, no matter where you are in the world. That’s great, am I right? Our stylish time pieces make a great gifts for telling time as a left-hander.
Our flasks are equal opportunity drink dispensers, and as a left-hander, you can CHOOSE how to hold your flask (away from you to display the engraving to your friends, or towards you so you can read an inspirational message as you sip.) We DEFINITELY want you to be able to use a flask with your left hand (after all your right hand will be busy pointing at the other lefties trying to drink out of some other store’s right handed flasks. We’ve got your back!)
With the more “common” right-hander’s glass (wine glasses and steins), you will find the engraving challenging to manage in your left hand. Thankfully we have solved that with OUR glassware, which easily accommodates your unique left handed grip, while still working equally well for a right-hander.
As we learned earlier, lefties are twice as likely to be men, so we have a few unique products to help you in the business world. Our money clips and business card holders are uniquely designed to be used by you everyday. But this doesn’t mean our business gifts are only for male lefties. Women who are lefties will find these career oriented gifts accommodate THEIR left hands as well. Left handed men and women, taking the business world by storm! And to that, we say hurray!
One of our favourite products to express your personality and fun side is our key chains. We have styles to suit any personality. EVEN a left-handers! With our key chains, you can express your interests AND hold your keys in your left hand! Miraculous!
Okay, all joking aside, we know it can be an actual challenge to be a leftie in a right-hand dominated world (I have 5 lefties in my family so I know first hand…no pun intended…or was it?!?) We hope you have a great time celebrating a truly unique physical feature on International Left Handers day…even if it DOES make your hand writing kinda messy.
From your Things Engraved Social Team,
Find out what other gifts we have for left handers and right handers alike!
To purchase, visit our website or find it in a store near you.