March 17th is the one day where everyone is Irish! In celebration of being Irish today here are some Irish fun facts:
1. SURPRISE – St. Patrick was NOT Irish! St. Patrick was born in Great Britain. He was captured by the Irish at age 16 to be a slave. St. Patrick eventually escaped and returned to his family. He returned to Ireland later as a missionary.
2. It’s Paddy, not Patty. Patty is short for Patricia.
3. The 4 leaf clover is not the symbol of Ireland, it’s actually the harp.
4. Your odds of finding a four-leaf clover are: About 1 in 10,000.
5. The official colour of St. Patrick is actually blue. Historical artworks of St. Patrick show him wearing blue liturgical garment. Blue was also commonly used on flags and coats of arms to represent Ireland. Green came into the picture much later, most likely as a symbol of the greenness of the “Emerald Isle.”
Find a personalized Irish gift for your St. Patrick’s Day celebrations.
Enter to WIN a St. Patrick’s Day charm bracelet on Facebook!