10 Halloween Fun Facts!
1. Halloween was inspired by the Irish Celtic festival called Samhain, which celebrated the end of the harvest season. The tradition spread after the Irish fled during the potato famine.
2. Why are orange and black traditional Halloween colours? Orange represents the fall harvest and black represents darkness associated with the death of summer.
3. Jack-o’-lanterns also originated in Ireland! People used to place candles in hallowed-out turnips (instead of pumpkins) to keep away spirits and ghosts during the Samhain festival.
4. Did you know pumpkins also come in white, blue and green?
5. It was believed the spirits and ghosts roamed the countryside on Halloween night. Masks and costumes were worn to avoid being recognized as a human.
6. Chocolate candy bars top the list as the most popular candy for trick-or-treaters, with Snickers being #1!
7. Black cats were once believed to protect a witch’s powers.
8. Samhainophobia is the fear of Halloween.
9. The largest pumpkin ever weighed was over 2,000 pounds! See the photos.
10. According to ancient myths, if a person wears their clothes inside out and walks backwards on Halloween, they will see a witch at midnight!