Not only is it the Friday of the August long weekend, but it’s also International Beer Day! While you kick back and enjoy your favourite brew, here are some Canadian Beer Facts:
- The oldest brewery in North America is Molson’s in Montreal where they have been brewing since 1786.
- Residents in Newfoundland and Labrador, Quebec and the Prairie provinces (Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba) consumed more beer in 2012 than the Canadian average; British Columbia residents consumed the lowest amount.
- Canadian beer is slightly stronger than American beer.
- 97% of all bottles and 86% of all cans are returned. Hey, every nickel and dime counts toward a new case!
- In 2012, Canadians bought the equivalent of 235 bottles of beer per person.